Music Hall
- Building Name:
- Music Hall
- Alternate Names:
- The Maples; Stanton House
- Historical Note:
- Built 1868-1870, Music Hall was the second of the three “Professors’ Houses”, and was first occupied by mathematics Professor George W. Jones. Edgar W. Stanton lived with Jones's family, and from 1879 to Stanton's death in 1920, the home was known as the Stanton House. The house was remodeled in 1899 with a 20-foot east addition, repaired in 1904, and updated in 1914 with central heating and a basement garage. After her husband's death, Mrs. Stanton continued to live in the house, and when she started a tea room in 1922, the home became known as "The Maples." Mrs. Stanton moved out in 1924, and the Home Economics Department continued operating the tea room. In 1926, the east (front) porch was enclosed, and the kitchen was enlarged. In 1928, the tearoom closed with the opening of the Memorial Union, and the Music Department moved in. The name "Music Hall" became official in 1929. The house was torn down in 1978 to make way for the new music building, which was constructed on the site.
- Year Built:
- 1868; 1899
- Year Removed:
- 1978
- Architect:
- C.A. Dunham H.F. Liebbe Proudfoot & Bird & Rawson
- Contractor:
- N.P. Starks W.M. Rich Thos. Sloss
Photographs Containing Music Hall:
Source
- Preferred Citation:
- "Music Hall", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
- Reference Link:
- https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0003.html