Margaret Hall

Building Name:
Margaret Hall
Alternate Names:
Ladies Hall
Historical Note:
Margaret Hall was built between 1894 and 1895 as an undergraduate women’s residence hall, marking a major expansion of campus housing. The building included modern amenities and dining facilities and was fully occupied upon opening. From 1902 until 1906, Margaret Hall also housed the Botany Department after a fire in the Main Building. Several renovations were completed, including fire escapes in 1897 and 1903, lockers and shower baths in 1913, and a swimming pool in 1915. By 1929, the dining services in Margaret Hall were discontinued, and housing was reserved for graduate women. The building was destroyed by a fire on April 9, 1938.
Year Built:
1894
Year Removed:
1938
Architect:
Nourse & Hallett
Contractor:
Whiting & Wood
Photographs Containing Margaret Hall:
Photograph of people pouring...
Photograph of people pouring cement for a driveway. The buildings in the background, from left to right (west to north) are Margaret Hall, North Hall, MacKay Hall, and the Bevier House. Annotation: “Flagpole, n.d.”
IMAGE
Margaret Hall, circa 1900...
Two horse-drawn carriagesare passing in front of Ladies Hall (later known as Margaret Hall). Botany Hall (later known as Carrie Chapman Catt Hall) is on the far right. The Quadrangle is behind Botany Hall, 1900.
IMAGE
High-level view of Margaret...
High-level view of Margaret Hall, Carrie Chapman Catt Hall, and Morrill Hall.
IMAGE
Carrie Chapman Catt Hall...
This winter scene depicts Catt Hall with the surrounding trees in the foreground. MacKay and Margaret Halls can also be seen.
IMAGE
Old Main, Morrill Hall,...
Old Main, Morrill Hall, and Margaret Hall.
IMAGE
Carrie Chapman Catt Hall...
The front and side of Catt Hall. Greenhouses can be seen in the foreground.
IMAGE
Morrill Hall, Ladies Hall,...
Campus buildings from left to right are: Morrill Hall, Ladies Hall (later known as Margaret Hall), and Botany Hall (later known as Carrie Chapman Catt Hall).
IMAGE
Looking northeast from Old...
Looking northeast from Old Main, Ladies Hall (Later known as Margaret Hall) is on the left and Botany Hall (later known as Carrie Chapman Catt Hall) is on the right, 1896.
IMAGE
Photograph of North Hall...
Photograph of North Hall on the Iowa State campus, showing the west and north elevations. The image depicts a three-story brick building with arched windows and adjacent structures, with early automobiles parked nearby. Annotation: North Hall 1896–1900 "Over Margaret Hall Kitchen."
IMAGE
Photograph of Margaret Hall...
Photograph of the south and east side of Margaret Hall.
IMAGE
Photograph of Margaret Hall...
Photograph of the south and west side of Margaret Hall. A little bit of MacKay Hall can be seen to the north (right) of Margaret. Annotation: ''Margaret Hall, built in 1895. A little bit of the first Home Ec. building is visible in back. It was built in 1912.''
IMAGE
Photograph of Margaret Hall...
Photograph showing the southeast portion of Margaret Hall after it was destroyed by fire on April 9, 1938. MacKay Hall can be seen to the north (right).
IMAGE
Photograph of Margaret Hall...
Photograph of the south side of Margaret Hall. MacKay Hall can be seen to the north (right).
IMAGE
Aerial view of Margaret...
1918 or 1919. Margaret Hall, Botany Hall, Morrill Hall, Bookstore, Exp. Sta. Barn, Farm House, Mortensen House, Corner of Ag Hall (Curtiss).
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"Margaret Hall", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0041.html