Farm Boarding Club

Title:
Farm Boarding Club
Description:
The Farm Boarding Club was constructed the summer on 1878 after the Horticulture Department expressed the need for a "garden-house" in 1871. IN 1894 after the Horticulture department had moved to the new Agriculture Hall (Botany Hall), Horticulture Hall was remodeled as a residence. The building continued as a faculty or sub-faculty club until 1906, when it was reserved for contagious hospital purposes. The building remained in place until 1915 when it was moved to the south side of what is now called Wallace Road at the west end of the new addition to the Women's Gym. It was used as an employees' boarding house for some years therafter. Later it was an employees residence. It was razed in 1970 to make way for the Gymnasium addition. Credit: The Iowa State University Campus and Its Buildings
Location:
Farm Boarding Club; Ames; Iowa
Latitude:
42.02824866
Longitude:
-93.64821939
Year Built:
1879
Year Removed:
1970
Building Cost:
800
The Farm Boarding Club was constructed the summer on 1878 after the Horticulture Department expressed the need for a "garden-house" in 1871. IN 1894 after the Horticulture department had moved to the new Agriculture Hall (Botany Hall), Horticulture Hall was remodeled as a residence. The building continued as a faculty or sub-faculty club until 1906, when it was reserved for contagious hospital purposes. The building remained in place until 1915 when it was moved to the south side of what is now called Wallace Road at the west end of the new addition to the Women's Gym. It was used as an employees' boarding house for some years therafter. Later it was an employees residence. It was razed in 1970 to make way for the Gymnasium addition. Credit: The Iowa State University Campus and Its Buildings
BUILDING IMAGES
Photograph of the Farm...
Photograph looking south-east at the Farm Boarding Club when the building was located at the corner of Beach and Wallace. Part of the Teamster’s Cottage #2 can be seen to the left (east side) of the Farm Boarding Club. Annotation: “Farm Boarding Cottage, 1957.”
IMAGE
Photograph of the Farm...
Photograph of the Farm Boarding Club when the building was located on Morrill and was known as Horticulture Hall. Annotation: “Faculty Club stood where Library is now. Farm Boarding Club.”
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"Farm Boarding Club ", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://isu-digital.github.io/historic-buildings//historic-buildings/items/hist_184.html