Chemical and Physical Laboratory

Building Name:
Chemical and Physical Laboratory
Alternate Names:
Physical Laboratory
Historical Note:
Proposed in 1868 due to a lack of proper laboratory space, the Chemical Laboratory was completed in 1871 as a small brick building for approximately $5,000. Between 1874 and 1875, a larger Physical Laboratory was added to the east end. The expanded building housed the Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical, and later Electrical Engineering departments, featuring lecture rooms, laboratories, and an observatory. Additions and upgrades continued, including a second flood in 1891, steam heat in 1892, and a third-floor expansion in 1910 as the building became overcrowded. The laboratory was destroyed by fire on March 25, 1913.
Year Built:
1870;1873
Year Removed:
1913
Architect:
Hugh Brown of Iowa City
Photographs Containing Chemical and Physical Laboratory:
Aerial view of group...
View southwest from Main Building. The sidewalk leads to Chemical and Physical Laboratory, built in 1870 & 75, it burned in 1913. East and West Cottages, men's dormitories, are to the left of it. East Cottage, built in 1882, was later used as Training Quarters for athletes. It was torn down in 1907. West Cottage, built in 1880, was later used by the College hospital. It was torn down in 1934. In back of Chemical Hall is the Engineering Building, built 1883 & 1884. Later it was known as the Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Laboratory and now known as Mechanics Laboratory. To the right of Engineering Hall is the frame workshop, built in 1870. It was torn down in 1897. The house in the trees is the Marston Cottage which was torn down after Mrs. Marston's death in 1958 when it was almost surrounded by Friley Hall. Tennis courts and the football field supplanted the orchards.
IMAGE
Old Chemistry building, Maples,...
This picture "taken about '70" probably was taken in 1876. Large building at right rear is the Main Building, built in 1868, with an additional wing built in 1871. It burned about the turn of the century, and was replaced by a new limestone building which was first known as Central and now is known as Beardshear Hall (after an early president). Beardshear is near center of present campus and is headquarters for the administration of the college as well as classroom building. Building in foreground is president's residence, built in 1869. At far left (rear) is the Maples, built in 1869, and now known as Music Hall, the headquarters of the music department. (It is only building visible in picture still standing.) In left center toward rear is Chemistry Building, built in 1870 with an addition in 1875. Smaller building behind Chemistry is not completely identified.
IMAGE
An aerial view of...
An aerial view of Old Main (later known as Central Building and Beardshear Hall) in the center and Morrill Hall on the right. Other campus buildings are to the left of Old Main.
IMAGE
View of campus looking...
In this view looking west, Alumni Hall is on the left, Chemical and Physical Laboratory is to the left of the smoke stack, and the light-colored building on the right is Engineering Hall II (later known as Marston Hall). A man is attending to his horse on the unpaved street in the center of this view and there are rows of homes in the background, 1913.
IMAGE
Views of Chemical Building,...
Campus buildings viewed from left to right: Chemical and Physical Laboratory, East Boarding Cottage, Alumni Hall, and Central Building (later known as Beardshear Hall). Alumni Hall and Central Building are under construction. There are people walking along the dirt paths, 1906.
IMAGE
Water tower construction, 1897...
The Water Tower construction site, March 22, 1897, about 4:30 PM. Old Main and the Chemical and Physical Laboratory can be seen in the background.
IMAGE
Quantitative analysis class, 1890...
A quantitative analysis class in the Chemistry-Physics Hall, probably in 1890s. The caption on the back of the photograph states: "Note blast lamp for igniting crucibles; Kipp gas generator, wash bottle made form round bottom flask."
IMAGE
Beardshear Hall (Central Building),...
An aerial view of Beardshear Hall and the English Office Building, showing the top of the Marston Water Tower behind Beardshear Hall
IMAGE
Marston Hall
Centered on Marston Hall. Marston Water Tower is behind the tree on the left, as well as some of the Engineering shops.
IMAGE
Photograph of Chemical and...
Photograph of the Chemical and Physical Laboratory. It is a two-story brick building with ivy growing on the front. The Laboratory of Mechanics is visible in the right background.
IMAGE
Photograph of Chemical and...
Photograph of the Chemical and Physical Laboratory in 1888. The side and front of the building are visible. It is a two-story brick building with four visible chimneys.
IMAGE
Photograph of Chemical and...
Photograph of the Chemical and Physical Laboratory in 1909. The photograph depicts the side of the hall, with any chimneys visible. A fire escape can also be seen the far right of the building.
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"Chemical and Physical Laboratory", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0005.html