Main Building

Building Name:
Main Building
Alternate Names:
College Building; The College; Old Main
Historical Note:
Built between 1864 and 1868, the Main Building was Iowa State’s first major campus structure. Designed by C.A. Dunham after earlier plans were revised, the large brick building housed classrooms, laboratories, a library, a museum, dining facilities, and student and faculty living quarters. An addition completed between 1871 and 1873 expanded its capacity, though the building quickly became overcrowded. Throughout its use, Old Main underwent numerous repairs and upgrades, including heating system replacements, structural reinforcements, and the addition of electric lighting in 1884. Despite these efforts, persistent structural issues and aging infrastructure remained. A fire in December 1900 destroyed the north wing, and a second fire in August 1902 destroyed the south wing, leading to the building’s complete loss. The structure served the college for just over thirty years before being replaced by Beardshear Hall.
Year Built:
1864; 1871
Year Removed:
1901; 1902
Architect:
C.A. Dunham
Contractor:
Jacob Reichard
Photographs Containing Main Building:
Aerial view of group...
View southwest from Main Building. The sidewalk leads to Chemical and Physical Laboratory, built in 1870 & 75, it burned in 1913. East and West Cottages, men's dormitories, are to the left of it. East Cottage, built in 1882, was later used as Training Quarters for athletes. It was torn down in 1907. West Cottage, built in 1880, was later used by the College hospital. It was torn down in 1934. In back of Chemical Hall is the Engineering Building, built 1883 & 1884. Later it was known as the Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Laboratory and now known as Mechanics Laboratory. To the right of Engineering Hall is the frame workshop, built in 1870. It was torn down in 1897. The house in the trees is the Marston Cottage which was torn down after Mrs. Marston's death in 1958 when it was almost surrounded by Friley Hall. Tennis courts and the football field supplanted the orchards.
IMAGE
Botany Lab in Old...
Students are examining plant specimens with microscopes in the Botany Lab located in part of the old chapel of the Main Building (Old Main). Professor Pammel is bending over looking through a microscope in the center of the photograph. There is a map and posters showing the anatomy of plants hanging on the walls.
IMAGE
Old Main, 1880
The front side of Old Main, with the college military cadet corps arranged in a review formation on the lawn in front of the building. An officer on a horse is at the foot of the Old Main steps. Military training was compulsory for male Iowa State students from 1868 through 1962.
IMAGE
Old Main
The front side of Old Main, with the college military cadet corps arranged in a review formation on the lawn in front of the building. The women's military corps is in front of the corps, in addition to a band and a drum major. Military training was required of Iowa State male students from 1868 through 1962 and women also organized a military corps from 1878 through 1897.
IMAGE
Old Main
The north side of Old Main after a fire in 1900. A large number of chairs are strewn around the grounds. This view shows clearly that the north roof and north wall of the buildings are gone. Window openings on the west and south side of the north wing are empty of glass and framing.
IMAGE
Old Main
The south wall of the south wing of Old Main after the fire in December 1900. Large amounts of building contents are on the grounds. People near the building are looking through the remains.
IMAGE
Old Main
Old Main from the south after the second fire in August 1902. The gutted building stands behind a large heap of rubble, on which a man is standing. Seven men and two boys are in the foreground, all looking at the building remains.
IMAGE
Old Main
The south side of the south wing of Old Main after the first fire in December 1900. A large amount of room furnishings are strewn around the grounds. This view shows clearly that the south wing was the least affected portion of the building in the first fire.
IMAGE
Old Main
Old Main from the southeast after the second fire in August 1902. The gutted building stands behind a large heap of rubble. Only the front porch is still intact. The water tower is seen to the left of the building in the middle distance.
IMAGE
Old Main fire 1900...
Old Main on fire at 6:30 am on the December day in 1900 that the first fire occurred. The building appears to be completely engulfed in flames, although it is only the North Wing that was damaged.
IMAGE
Old Main, 1901
Old Main during deep winter following the December 1900 fire. The North wing has largely disappeared. The South Wing of the building is still in use. The ground is covered in snow.
IMAGE
Old Main and Morrill...
Old Main and Morrill Hall (constructed 1890-1891). A number of people are in front of each building as well as walking to the buildings.
IMAGE
Old Main and Morrill...
Looking southwest from Botany Hall toward Old Main and Morrill Hall. Taken between 1897 and 1900.
IMAGE
Old Main and Morrill...
Old Main and Morrill Hall.
IMAGE
Old Chemistry building, Maples,...
This picture "taken about '70" probably was taken in 1876. Large building at right rear is the Main Building, built in 1868, with an additional wing built in 1871. It burned about the turn of the century, and was replaced by a new limestone building which was first known as Central and now is known as Beardshear Hall (after an early president). Beardshear is near center of present campus and is headquarters for the administration of the college as well as classroom building. Building in foreground is president's residence, built in 1869. At far left (rear) is the Maples, built in 1869, and now known as Music Hall, the headquarters of the music department. (It is only building visible in picture still standing.) In left center toward rear is Chemistry Building, built in 1870 with an addition in 1875. Smaller building behind Chemistry is not completely identified.
IMAGE
An aerial view of...
An aerial view of Old Main (later known as Central Building and Beardshear Hall) in the center and Morrill Hall on the right. Other campus buildings are to the left of Old Main.
IMAGE
Water tower construction, 1897...
The Water Tower construction site, March 22, 1897, about 4:30 PM. Old Main and the Chemical and Physical Laboratory can be seen in the background.
IMAGE
Old Main, Morrill Hall,...
Old Main, Morrill Hall, and Margaret Hall.
IMAGE
Morrill Hall
View of the front (east) and north sides of Morrill Hall. Three woman, one with an umbrella, are walking northward and two men are walking southward across the front of the building. Old Main is on the left side of the photograph.
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"Main Building", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0006.html