The Hub

Building Name:
The Hub
Alternate Names:
Depot; Bookstore; Post Office
Historical Note:
Built in 1892, The Hub originally served as a depot, bookstore, and post office to support the Ames and College Railway. After the railway was discontinued in 1908, the building was relocated and continued to function as a bookstore and post office, with multiple additions made in 1920, 1946, and 1952. The bookstore moved to the Memorial Union in 1958, and the building remained a post office until 1963. Renamed “The Hub” in 1959, it was repurposed for food services and later housed additional campus functions, including a copy center, ticket office, and traffic office.
Year Built:
1892
Architect:
Josselyn & Taylor
Contractor:
Whiting & Wood
Photographs Containing The Hub:
Photograph of the flagpole...
Photograph showing the raising of the flagpole on central campus. In the background Bearshear Hall, Marston Hall, the Marston Water Tower, the Hub, and Mirrill Hall can be seen. Annotation: "Erecting of steel flagpole, ca. March 1908. Beardshear Hall, Marston Hall, water tower, Hub, and Morrill Hall in background."
IMAGE
Photograph of the flagpole...
Photograph showing the raising of the flagpole on central campus. In the background Beardshear Hall, Marston Hall, the Marston Water Tower, and the Hub can be seen. Annotation: “Raising of flagpole. Bearshear Hall, Marston Hall, water tower & Hub, 1908.”
IMAGE
Old Main
The front side of Old Main, with the college military cadet corps arranged in a review formation on the lawn in front of the building. The women's military corps is in front of the corps, in addition to a band and a drum major. Military training was required of Iowa State male students from 1868 through 1962 and women also organized a military corps from 1878 through 1897.
IMAGE
Old Main
An aerial view of the rear side of Old Main. A flag flies from the north tower of the building. The Hub and railroad tracks are depicted to the left of Old Main. Further to the left of the image can be seen the rear of Morrill Hall.
IMAGE
Old Main and Morrill...
Looking southwest from Botany Hall toward Old Main and Morrill Hall. Taken between 1897 and 1900.
IMAGE
An aerial view of...
An aerial view of Old Main (later known as Central Building and Beardshear Hall) in the center and Morrill Hall on the right. Other campus buildings are to the left of Old Main.
IMAGE
Morrill Hall and Hub...
Morrill Hall is at the center of this campus view. The Hub is to the left and was used as a post office, bookstore, and depot station for the Ames and College Railway.
IMAGE
Morrill Hall, 1907-1913
In this aerial view the Hub is to the left (west) of Morrill Hall.
IMAGE
Morrill and Hub
Morrill Hall is at the center of this campus view. The Hub is to the left and was used as a post office, bookstore, and depot station for the Ames and College Railway.
IMAGE
Morrill Hall and the...
Morrill Hall and the Hub, October 16, 1929.
IMAGE
Photograph of a group...
Photograph of people outside the Hub when it was the Post Office. There is a banner on the Hub reading ''Be loyal. Vote for student memorial and raise the thermometer for your division.'' Morrill Hall can be seen to the east (right).
IMAGE
Photograph of cars parked...
Photograph of cars parked west of the Hub when it was the Post Office. The Armory, Davidson Hall, and library can be seen in the north-west (background).
IMAGE
Photograph of Hub renovations...
A three photograph strip showing renovations of the Hub in 1983. Annotation: "Hub (renovations) 1983 (strip) Renovation June 83."
IMAGE
Photograph of the Dinkey...
Photograph of the Dinkey stopped in front of the Hub. The engine pulls three passenger cars loaded with students either just arriving on campus or preparing to leave for downtown Ames.
IMAGE
Aerial view of Margaret...
1918 or 1919. Margaret Hall, Botany Hall, Morrill Hall, Bookstore, Exp. Sta. Barn, Farm House, Mortensen House, Corner of Ag Hall (Curtiss).
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"The Hub", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0016.html