Creamery (Second)

Building Name:
Creamery (Second)
Historical Note:
The second Creamery was built between 1891 and 1893 to replace the original creamery. Initial funding was insufficient, requiring additional appropriations in 1892 to complete workspaces, laboratories, and dormitory rooms above the facility. Minor changes and repairs were made, and an addition was constructed in 1898. By 1903, the building was considered outdated and too costly to maintain. It was authorized for demolition in 1904, remained in use briefly, and was razed in 1905.
Year Built:
1891
Year Removed:
1905
Photographs Containing Creamery (Second):
Dairying students and faculty,...
The 1893 Dairying class of 36 students and Professors F.A. Leighton and G.W. McKay standing in front of the creamery building.
IMAGE
Photograph of the second...
Photograph of the second creamery. It is a large three-story building. A barn sits in the backround to the left. Two men are outside the building: one leaning against a doorframe and another sitting on a box in front of a wider door. The caption reads "Creamery, 1892-1904 on site of East Hall."
IMAGE
Photograph of rear view...
Photograph of the second creamery building from the rear, with the Farm Laborer's Cottage. The creamery is three stories, and a one-story building sits in front. A ladder rests on the roof of the smaller building leading to the creamery roof. There are horses and carts in front.
IMAGE
Photograph of the second...
Photograph of the second creamery building. The photograph shows two sides of the building, which is two stories high with a steep roof.
IMAGE
MacKay House, Creamery, and...
Campus scene of Iowa State feauring MacKay House ( also known as the Farm Laborer's Cottage), Creamery, and Experiment Station Barn.
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"Creamery (Second)", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0018.html