Building "A"

Building Name:
Building "A"
Alternate Names:
Foundry
Historical Note:
Building ‘A’ was constructed in 1897 as a forge shop and foundry for the Mechanical Engineering Department. The building remained in use as a foundry until 1936, after which it served as the Technical Institution's headquarters. Building ‘A’ was removed in 1973.
Year Built:
1897
Year Removed:
1973
Architect:
Hallett & Rawson
Contractor:
J.F. Atkinson & Bro.
Photographs Containing Building "A":
Aerospace Laboratory, Foundry, Power...
This group of buildings includes the Aerospace Laboratory, Foundry, and Power Station. The Marston Water Tower is in the background.
IMAGE
Photograph of the southeast...
Photograph looking north-west at the southeast corner of the Laboratory of Mechanics. The Quarantine Hospital can be seen to the west (left) of the Laboratory and the Steam & Gas Lab, Marston Water Tower, and Building A can be seen to the north (right).
IMAGE
Photograph of engineering laboratories...
Photograph looking southwest at engineering laboratories. Following the sidewalk from left to right the buildings shown are the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Power Station, Building A, and the Aerospace Laboratory. To the west (right) of the Laboratory of Mechanics is the Quarantine Hospital, to the west of the Power Station is the Machine Shop, and to the west of Building A is Building B. Annotation: ''l. To r.; T. & A M Lab. (old Engineering Hall) 1884; site of M E Lab--picture of old power station--before 1908; Building A (old Foundry) 1898; Aeronautics Bldg (old Wood & Pattern Shop) 1898.''
IMAGE
Photograph of engineering laboratories...
Photograph of the engineering laboratories. From left to right (south to north) these buildings are the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Power Station, Building A, and the Aerospace Laboratory. The West Boarding Cottage can also be seen on the far left (southeast).
IMAGE
Photograph looking southwest at...
Photograph of the engineering laboratories. From left to right (south to north) these buildings are the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Power Station, Building A, and the Aerospace Laboratory. Annotation: ''L to r; Old Eng Hall now T & A M; Power Station; Forge Shop & Foundry; Pattern Shop.''
IMAGE
Photograph of the Aerospace...
Photograph of the east side of the Aerospace Laboratory. Building A can be seen to the south (left) and the Engineering Annex can be seen to the north (right).
IMAGE
Photograph of the Chemical...
Photograph of the Chemical and Physical Laboratory taken from Bearshear Hall. The West Boarding Cottage can be seen to the southwest (left). The Laboratory of Mechanics, Power Station, Machine Shop, and Building A can be seen to the west (right). Annotation: ''(Sheldon Ave); Lincoln Way north; Quarantine Hospital?; Lab of Mechanics; Mech Eng Lab (west section completed 1908); Power Station; Bldg. A (foundry); view from Beardshear looking SW btwn (1908-1913); White House(?); Chemical & Physical Hall; Boarding Cottage (West).''
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"Building "A"", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0043.html