Campanile

Building Name:
Campanile
Historical Note:
Construction of the Campanile began in 1897 and was originally intended to house a gift of ten bells from Professor E.W. Stanton in memory of Margaret McDonald Stanton. The tower was completed in 1898, the clock was added in 1899, and the chimes played for the first time in 1900. In 1929, twenty-six more bells were added, and the structure was named the Edgar W. and Margaret MacDonald Stanton Memorial Carillon of Bells. Thirteen treble bells were installed in 1956, and another in 1967, bringing the total to 50 bells. The Campanile stands 110 feet high.
Year Built:
1897
Architect:
George E. Hallett
Contractor:
J.F. Atkinson & Bro.
Photographs Containing Campanile:
Campanile in winter, 1948...
The Campanile in January 1949. Long shadows play on the snow between the camera and the tower. The clock shows 10:10. Sloss House can be seen to the left of the Campanile, both enshrouded by trees.
IMAGE
Photograph of Stange Road,...
Photograph of Stange Road looking to the south. A man drives a horse-drawn cart towards the south. A sign reading Iowa State College crosses the road. Teamsters Cottage #2 is visible to the left. On the right, the campanile, Agricultural Hall, and the Engineer's Cottage are visible.
IMAGE
Photograph of the dismantling...
Photograph looking north at the dismantling of the Veterinary Hospital. Beardshear Hall can be seen to the north-west (left), and the Campanile can be seen to the north (rising behind the Veterinary Hospital).
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"Campanile", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0044.html