Aerospace Laboratory

Building Name:
Aerospace Laboratory
Alternate Names:
Carpenter Shop, Pattern Shop, Aeronautical Engineering Laboratory
Historical Note:
Built in 1898 and originally known as the Carpenter Shop, the Aerospace Laboratory provided students with tool-based instruction. It was later known as the Pattern Shop until 1932, and in 1934, its function shifted to the Aeronautical Engineering Laboratory. The building was removed in 1973.
Year Built:
1898
Year Removed:
1973
Contractor:
Zitterell & Atkinson
Photographs Containing Aerospace Laboratory:
An aerial view of...
An aerial view of Old Main (later known as Central Building and Beardshear Hall) in the center and Morrill Hall on the right. Other campus buildings are to the left of Old Main.
IMAGE
View of campus looking...
In this view looking west, Alumni Hall is on the left, Chemical and Physical Laboratory is to the left of the smoke stack, and the light-colored building on the right is Engineering Hall II (later known as Marston Hall). A man is attending to his horse on the unpaved street in the center of this view and there are rows of homes in the background, 1913.
IMAGE
View of Engineering Hall,...
Engineering Hall I (later known as Laboratory of Mechanics) is the second building to the left of the Power Plant. State Gymnasium and Clyde Williams Field are in the background to the right, March 2, 1923.
IMAGE
Beardshear Hall (Central Building),...
An aerial view of Beardshear Hall and the English Office Building, showing the top of the Marston Water Tower behind Beardshear Hall
IMAGE
Marston Hall
Centered on Marston Hall. Marston Water Tower is behind the tree on the left, as well as some of the Engineering shops.
IMAGE
Aerospace Engineering Annex, Marston...
Aerospace Engineering Annex, Marston Water Tower, Marston Hall. For cover of Iowa Engineer, November 22, 1913.
IMAGE
Photograph of engineering laboratories...
Photograph looking southwest at engineering laboratories. Following the sidewalk from left to right the buildings shown are the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Power Station, Building A, and the Aerospace Laboratory. To the west (right) of the Laboratory of Mechanics is the Quarantine Hospital, to the west of the Power Station is the Machine Shop, and to the west of Building A is Building B. Annotation: ''l. To r.; T. & A M Lab. (old Engineering Hall) 1884; site of M E Lab--picture of old power station--before 1908; Building A (old Foundry) 1898; Aeronautics Bldg (old Wood & Pattern Shop) 1898.''
IMAGE
Photograph of engineering laboratories...
Photograph of the engineering laboratories. From left to right (south to north) these buildings are the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Power Station, Building A, and the Aerospace Laboratory. The West Boarding Cottage can also be seen on the far left (southeast).
IMAGE
Photograph of the Aerospace...
Photograph of the west and south sides of the Aerospace Laboratory. Annotation: ''New lab from West.''
IMAGE
Photograph looking southwest at...
Photograph of the engineering laboratories. From left to right (south to north) these buildings are the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Power Station, Building A, and the Aerospace Laboratory. Annotation: ''L to r; Old Eng Hall now T & A M; Power Station; Forge Shop & Foundry; Pattern Shop.''
IMAGE
Photograph of the Aerospace...
Photograph of the east side of the Aerospace Laboratory. Building A can be seen to the south (left) and the Engineering Annex can be seen to the north (right).
IMAGE
Photograph of Marston Hall...
This is a photograph of the construction of Marston Hall.
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"Aerospace Laboratory", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0046.html