Farm House

Building Name:
Farm House
Alternate Names:
Knapp-Wilson House
Historical Note:
Construction of the Farm House (Knapp-Wilson House) began in 1860 and was completed in 1865 as the first building on Iowa State’s campus. Built by day labor, it served as an early residence for farm and college operations. The structure was expanded and modified over time, including additions, repairs, and conversion into a two-family residence in the late 1880s. After decades of use and continued updates, it was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1965. Restored between 1972 and 1975, the building now serves as a museum preserving Iowa State’s early history.
Year Built:
1860
Architect:
Milens Burt of Muscatine
Contractor:
Built by day labor
Photographs Containing Farm House:
Photograph of the front...
Photograph looking north-west at the front porch and south side of the Farm House. Part of Catt Hall can be seen in the background to the left (north-west) of the Farm House. Annotation: "Farm House."
IMAGE
Photograph of the north-west...
Photograph of the north-west corner of the Farm House with Dinkey tracks in the foreground. Annotation: "Horse barn redesigned in 1930 for Landscape architecture."
IMAGE
Photograph of a snowy...
Photograph of a pathway cleared through the snow running east between the Farm House and Creamery, First (when it was probably known as the Farm Foreman’s Cottage) on the right (south side), and Landscape Architecture (when it was known as the Horse Barn) on the left (north side). Annotation: “Looking east Farm House on right, Horse Barn on left, after 1907 where the electric line turned north of Ag Hall & Margaret Hall.”
IMAGE
Photograph of the front...
Photograph of the front of the Farm House showing the lawn in front of the house. Annotation: "Farm House, Horse & Cattle barns in background on right. n.d."
IMAGE
Photograph of the west...
Photograph showing the south-west corner of the Farm House including both the west and south porches. The Creamery, First can be seen in the background to the right (west) of the Farm House. Annotation: "The Farm House, picture appears in 1915 Alumnus."
IMAGE
Photograph of the south...
Photograph of the south side of the Farm House showing the front porch. The Cattle Barn, First can be seen in the background to the right (north-east) of the Farm House. Annotation: “Farm House. Cattle barns in background. Sept. 22, 1905 from south.”
IMAGE
Photograph of Dinkey tracks...
Photograph of Dinkey tracks as they run behind (north of) the Farm House. Annotation: “Farm House 1906. Motor track in foreground.”
IMAGE
Photograph of the Dinkey...
Photograph looking west at Dinkey tracks. To the right (north) the Theater Workshop (Judging Pavilion) and Landscape Architecture (Horse Barn, First) can be seen. The Farm House can be seen in the background to the left (south). Annotation: “Motor track looking west. Horse Barn (Land. Arch. Bldg.), theater pavilion on right. Farmhouse on left in background. n.d.”
IMAGE
Old Main
An aerial view of the rear side of Old Main. A flag flies from the north tower of the building. The Hub and railroad tracks are depicted to the left of Old Main. Further to the left of the image can be seen the rear of Morrill Hall.
IMAGE
Aerial view of Margaret...
1918 or 1919. Margaret Hall, Botany Hall, Morrill Hall, Bookstore, Exp. Sta. Barn, Farm House, Mortensen House, Corner of Ag Hall (Curtiss).
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"Farm House", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0008.html