Boarding Cottage West

Building Name:
Boarding Cottage West
Alternate Names:
Stanton Hall; Hospital; Detention Ward
Historical Note:
As enrollment increased and the Main Building could no longer accommodate all students, proposals were made for a dormitory to house 120 students. Ten years later, funds were made available, and Boarding Cottage West was erected in 1880, consisting of 16 rooms. An addition was completed in 1882, the porch was added in August 1886, and in 1894, both floors of the cottage were remodeled. A year later, three rooms in the basement were made available for an electrical laboratory. The cottage was remodeled again in 1907 to serve as the College Hospital, until the new Hospital was built in 1918, when Boarding Cottage West became the detention ward. Further remodeling took place in 1920, and the building was razed in 1934.
Year Built:
1880
Year Removed:
1934
Architect:
Prof. T.L. Smith
Contractor:
P.S. Whiting O.P. Stuckslager David Dale
Photographs Containing Boarding Cottage West:
Aerial view of group...
View southwest from Main Building. The sidewalk leads to Chemical and Physical Laboratory, built in 1870 & 75, it burned in 1913. East and West Cottages, men's dormitories, are to the left of it. East Cottage, built in 1882, was later used as Training Quarters for athletes. It was torn down in 1907. West Cottage, built in 1880, was later used by the College hospital. It was torn down in 1934. In back of Chemical Hall is the Engineering Building, built 1883 & 1884. Later it was known as the Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Laboratory and now known as Mechanics Laboratory. To the right of Engineering Hall is the frame workshop, built in 1870. It was torn down in 1897. The house in the trees is the Marston Cottage which was torn down after Mrs. Marston's death in 1958 when it was almost surrounded by Friley Hall. Tennis courts and the football field supplanted the orchards.
IMAGE
View of campus looking...
In this view looking west, Alumni Hall is on the left, Chemical and Physical Laboratory is to the left of the smoke stack, and the light-colored building on the right is Engineering Hall II (later known as Marston Hall). A man is attending to his horse on the unpaved street in the center of this view and there are rows of homes in the background, 1913.
IMAGE
Motor truck second section,...
A unit of U.S. soldiers from Missouri, the "Motor Truck Second Section." Twenty seven men and two dogs are posed for a photograph by a military transport vehicle. The truck's canvas cover is stenciled with the insignia "U.S.Q.M.C." The tower of the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Student Services Building, and the West Boarding Cottage can be seen in the background.
IMAGE
State Gymnasium view from...
The State Gymnasium is viewed from the intersection of Welch Road and Union Drive, looking west, with the College Hospital on the right. A wagon with two horses is driving on the road that passes by a grove of trees where Friley Hall now stands. Surrounding trees and houses on the west side of campus are also visible.
IMAGE
Photograph of West Boarding...
Photograph of two sides of West Boarding Cottage. It is a two story brick building, with three chimneys visible.
IMAGE
Photograph of East and...
Photographs of the east and west boarding cottages. The east boarding cottage is on the left, and the west boarding cottage is on the right.
IMAGE
Photograph of engineering laboratories...
Photograph of the engineering laboratories. From left to right (south to north) these buildings are the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Power Station, Building A, and the Aerospace Laboratory. The West Boarding Cottage can also be seen on the far left (southeast).
IMAGE
Photograph of the Chemical...
Photograph of the Chemical and Physical Laboratory taken from Bearshear Hall. The West Boarding Cottage can be seen to the southwest (left). The Laboratory of Mechanics, Power Station, Machine Shop, and Building A can be seen to the west (right). Annotation: ''(Sheldon Ave); Lincoln Way north; Quarantine Hospital?; Lab of Mechanics; Mech Eng Lab (west section completed 1908); Power Station; Bldg. A (foundry); view from Beardshear looking SW btwn (1908-1913); White House(?); Chemical & Physical Hall; Boarding Cottage (West).''
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"Boarding Cottage West", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0009.html