Veterinary Hospital
- Building Name:
- Veterinary Hospital
- Alternate Names:
- Carpenter Shop
- Historical Note:
- The Veterinary Hospital was constructed between 1884 and 1885 as a two-story building with additional space designed for animal care. Located approximately where the Pine Room is currently situated in the Memorial Union, the building initially served as a veterinary hospital, including clinics, animal stalls, and surgical spaces. As enrollment increased, the building became inadequate and underwent several updates, including connection to the central water supply in 1898. The Veterinary Department relocated in 1912, and the building was repurposed for storage. Between 1912 and 1921, a one-story shed was constructed for additional storage, and the Veterinary Hospital became known as the Carpenter Shop. The building was razed in 1926 to make room for the new Memorial Union Building.
- Year Built:
- 1884
- Year Removed:
- 1926
- Architect:
- Foster & Liebbe
- Contractor:
- V. Tomlinson
Photographs Containing Veterinary Hospital:
Source
- Preferred Citation:
- "Veterinary Hospital", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
- Reference Link:
- https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0024.html