English Office Building

Building Name:
English Office Building
Alternate Names:
Office Building
Historical Note:
Built in 1884, the English Office Building was originally designed to house the offices of the President, Secretary, and Treasurer. An addition was constructed in 1892, and the office spaces were rented to staff personnel in the following years. Although various repairs were completed, including the installation of a new furnace in 1904, the Public Grounds Committee recommended removing the English Office Building in 1905, a recommendation that was never carried out. In 1908, the building housed the college book store, the custodian, and the Head of the Military Department. The Office Building was connected to the central heating system in 1914, while it operated as the headquarters for the Buildings and Grounds department, and was rented to YMCA food service employees. The Music Department used the space until 1928, and in 1929, the second floor served as office space for the English Department. In 1973, the English and Speech offices were relocated, and the Office Building became the headquarters for International Education Services.
Year Built:
1884
Architect:
Foster & Liebbe Josselyn & Taylor
Contractor:
V. Tomlinson Whiting & Wood
Photographs Containing English Office Building:
An aerial view of...
An aerial view of Old Main (later known as Central Building and Beardshear Hall) in the center and Morrill Hall on the right. Other campus buildings are to the left of Old Main.
IMAGE
View of campus looking...
In this view looking west, Alumni Hall is on the left, Chemical and Physical Laboratory is to the left of the smoke stack, and the light-colored building on the right is Engineering Hall II (later known as Marston Hall). A man is attending to his horse on the unpaved street in the center of this view and there are rows of homes in the background, 1913.
IMAGE
Water tower construction, 1897...
The Water Tower construction site, March 22, 1897, about 4:30 PM. Old Main and the Chemical and Physical Laboratory can be seen in the background.
IMAGE
Morrill Hall, 1920-1930
A crowd is gathered along Morrill Road in front of Morrill Hall and Central Building (Beardshear Hall). A small tent appears between the two buildings. A period automobile is visible near the English Office Building in the background.
IMAGE
Beardshear Hall (Central Building),...
An aerial view of Beardshear Hall and the English Office Building, showing the top of the Marston Water Tower behind Beardshear Hall
IMAGE
Photograph of the English...
Photograph of the front (east) of the English Office Building. Annotation: ''English Office Bldg 1987 (see VEISHEA '87 program, p. 34).''
IMAGE
Photograph of the front...
Photograph of a person walking in front of the English Office building.
IMAGE
Photograph of the northeast...
Photograph of the front and right (north) side of the English Office Building. There are eight people standing around the front and south side of the building.
IMAGE
Photograph of the south...
Photograph of the south (left) side of the English Office Building.
IMAGE
Photograph of the President's...
Photograph showing the front (east side) of the English Office Building when it was the President's Office. Annotation: ''President's Office 1884-1904 now English Office Bldg.''
IMAGE
Photograph of the northeast...
Photograph of three people walking past the northeast corner of the English Office Building. Part of Carver Hall can be seen to the south (left). Annotation: ''Formerly Supt. of Grounds Thos. Sloss' Building in early 1900's now the "Old English Bldg" this building housed offices of the Iowa State Student, published tri-weekly and printed at Ames Tribune, downtown Ames, in 1910 and later. MU Director Harold Pride served as editor, as did others who followed during years when sentiment for some recognition of war service was reflected in news, letters and editorials. Many meetings of committees were held here, and in the adjacent Alumni Hall, until alumni, faculty and student opinion crystalized into the first drive for Memorial Union pledges in 1920.''
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"English Office Building", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0026.html