Sloss House

Building Name:
Sloss House
Alternate Names:
The Pines
Historical Note:
Sloss House was constructed between 1882 and 1883, with a porch addition in 1884. Professor Charles E. Bessey was the first occupant of the house and oversaw early renovations, such as sheeting the house with tarred paper and building a woodshed, wellhouse, and a privy. Minor repairs were made in 1897, 1904, and 1915, and extensive renovations, including porch modifications and the addition of a garage, were completed in 1925. Over time, Sloss House served a variety of functions, ranging from faculty residences to student housing and academic use.
Year Built:
1882
Architect:
J.B. Ballenger
Contractor:
V. Tomlinson
Photographs Containing Sloss House:
Photograph of Sloss House,...
Photograph of Sloss House looking east-southwest in winter.
IMAGE
Photograph of Sloss House,...
Photograph of Sloss House in the winter. A person stands beside a tree in the snow.
IMAGE
Photograph of Sloss House...
Photograph of Sloss House with a pile of bricks in the foreground.
IMAGE
Photograph of women outside...
Photograph of women outside Sloss House while it was being used as a home management house. One woman leans over a baby carriage, while others stand on the steps and sidewalk.
IMAGE
Photograph of Sloss House...
Aerial photograph of Sloss House taken from the Iowa State Campanile.
IMAGE
Campanile in winter, 1948...
The Campanile in January 1949. Long shadows play on the snow between the camera and the tower. The clock shows 10:10. Sloss House can be seen to the left of the Campanile, both enshrouded by trees.
IMAGE
Photograph of Sloss House...
Photograph of the Sloss House, home to the Sloss Women's Center since 1981.
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"Sloss House", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0029.html