Laboratory of Mechanics

Building Name:
Laboratory of Mechanics
Alternate Names:
Engineering Hall; Hydraulics Laboratory
Historical Note:
Construction of the Laboratory of Mechanics began in 1882 and continued until 1883, when it was found to be too small to accommodate the growing engineering departments. An expansion was finished in 1885, and the basement was remodeled between 1898 and 1899 to create a hydraulics laboratory. Major renovations followed in 1907, with toilet facilities added in 1923 and a one-story addition in 1933. Further remodeling in 1967 included the addition of office space and a classroom, improved laboratories, and fire escapes on the upper floors.
Year Built:
1882; 1884
Architect:
J.B. Ballenger Foster & Liebbe Proudfoot & Bird A.H. Kimball Wilkins & Bussard
Contractor:
V. Tomlinson R.G. Coutts U.S. Griffith & Son King Bole, Inc.
Photographs Containing Laboratory of Mechanics:
Photograph overlooking the rear...
Photograph of the rear of the original Champlin store and livery located at the corner of Lincoln Way and Welch. In the background Marston Cottage can be seen to the left (north-west) while to the right (north) the Marston Water Tower rises above engineering buildings in the distance. Annotation: “House, barn? on campus. Water tower in background ca. 1912.”
IMAGE
Aerial view of group...
View southwest from Main Building. The sidewalk leads to Chemical and Physical Laboratory, built in 1870 & 75, it burned in 1913. East and West Cottages, men's dormitories, are to the left of it. East Cottage, built in 1882, was later used as Training Quarters for athletes. It was torn down in 1907. West Cottage, built in 1880, was later used by the College hospital. It was torn down in 1934. In back of Chemical Hall is the Engineering Building, built 1883 & 1884. Later it was known as the Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Laboratory and now known as Mechanics Laboratory. To the right of Engineering Hall is the frame workshop, built in 1870. It was torn down in 1897. The house in the trees is the Marston Cottage which was torn down after Mrs. Marston's death in 1958 when it was almost surrounded by Friley Hall. Tennis courts and the football field supplanted the orchards.
IMAGE
Old Main and Morrill...
Looking southwest from Botany Hall toward Old Main and Morrill Hall. Taken between 1897 and 1900.
IMAGE
An aerial view of...
An aerial view of Old Main (later known as Central Building and Beardshear Hall) in the center and Morrill Hall on the right. Other campus buildings are to the left of Old Main.
IMAGE
View of campus looking...
In this view looking west, Alumni Hall is on the left, Chemical and Physical Laboratory is to the left of the smoke stack, and the light-colored building on the right is Engineering Hall II (later known as Marston Hall). A man is attending to his horse on the unpaved street in the center of this view and there are rows of homes in the background, 1913.
IMAGE
Motor truck second section,...
A unit of U.S. soldiers from Missouri, the "Motor Truck Second Section." Twenty seven men and two dogs are posed for a photograph by a military transport vehicle. The truck's canvas cover is stenciled with the insignia "U.S.Q.M.C." The tower of the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Student Services Building, and the West Boarding Cottage can be seen in the background.
IMAGE
View of Engineering Hall,...
Engineering Hall I (later known as Laboratory of Mechanics) is the second building to the left of the Power Plant. State Gymnasium and Clyde Williams Field are in the background to the right, March 2, 1923.
IMAGE
Beardshear Hall (Central Building),...
An aerial view of Beardshear Hall and the English Office Building, showing the top of the Marston Water Tower behind Beardshear Hall
IMAGE
Photograph of Chemical and...
Photograph of the Chemical and Physical Laboratory. It is a two-story brick building with ivy growing on the front. The Laboratory of Mechanics is visible in the right background.
IMAGE
Photograph of Laboratory of...
Photograph of the Laboratory of Mechanics. The photo depicts the front and side of the building. It is a brick building with three stories. A tower gable with a fence on top sits over the main entrance. A second building is partially visible to the right.
IMAGE
Photograph of the southeast...
Photograph looking north-west at the southeast corner of the Laboratory of Mechanics. The southeast corner of the Power Station can be seen behind (to the right) of the Laboratory of Mechanics.
IMAGE
Photograph of the north...
Photograph looking southeast at the north side of the Laboratory of Mechanics.
IMAGE
Photograph of the southeast...
Photograph looking north-west at the southeast corner of the Laboratory of Mechanics. The Quarantine Hospital can be seen to the west (left) of the Laboratory and the Steam & Gas Lab, Marston Water Tower, and Building A can be seen to the north (right).
IMAGE
Photograph of the north...
Photograph of the north side of the Laboratory of Mechanics looking down from Black Engineering with the Student Services Building and Friley Hall visible behind (at the top). Annotation: ''Lab of Mechanics Bldg 6/89 from top of Black Engineering.''
IMAGE
Photograph of the Laboratory...
Photograph looking north-west of the southeast corner of the Laboratory of Mechanics. The Marston Water Tower can be seen to the north (right). Annotation: "First Engineering Hall, built in 1883. Now called T & A M Lab."
IMAGE
Photograph of engineering laboratories...
Photograph looking southwest at engineering laboratories. Following the sidewalk from left to right the buildings shown are the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Power Station, Building A, and the Aerospace Laboratory. To the west (right) of the Laboratory of Mechanics is the Quarantine Hospital, to the west of the Power Station is the Machine Shop, and to the west of Building A is Building B. Annotation: ''l. To r.; T. & A M Lab. (old Engineering Hall) 1884; site of M E Lab--picture of old power station--before 1908; Building A (old Foundry) 1898; Aeronautics Bldg (old Wood & Pattern Shop) 1898.''
IMAGE
Photograph of engineering laboratories...
Photograph of the engineering laboratories. From left to right (south to north) these buildings are the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Power Station, Building A, and the Aerospace Laboratory. The West Boarding Cottage can also be seen on the far left (southeast).
IMAGE
Photograph looking southwest at...
Photograph of the engineering laboratories. From left to right (south to north) these buildings are the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Power Station, Building A, and the Aerospace Laboratory. Annotation: ''L to r; Old Eng Hall now T & A M; Power Station; Forge Shop & Foundry; Pattern Shop.''
IMAGE
Photograph of the Chemical...
Photograph of the Chemical and Physical Laboratory taken from Bearshear Hall. The West Boarding Cottage can be seen to the southwest (left). The Laboratory of Mechanics, Power Station, Machine Shop, and Building A can be seen to the west (right). Annotation: ''(Sheldon Ave); Lincoln Way north; Quarantine Hospital?; Lab of Mechanics; Mech Eng Lab (west section completed 1908); Power Station; Bldg. A (foundry); view from Beardshear looking SW btwn (1908-1913); White House(?); Chemical & Physical Hall; Boarding Cottage (West).''
IMAGE
Photograph of Marston Cottage,...
This is a photograph of Marston Cottage and the Roadway behind Friley-Hughes Hall.
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"Laboratory of Mechanics", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0030.html