Power Station

Building Name:
Power Station
Alternate Names:
Power House; Boiler House; Pumping Station
Historical Note:
The Power Station was built in 1891 as a boiler house, with an addition in 1897 that expanded it to include a pumping station as part of the campus water system. Additional boilers and expansions were added in 1899 and 1902. The building housed the electrical generating plant and pumping station and served as a laboratory for the Mechanical Engineering Department. The Power Station was removed in 1912 to make room for the new Mechanical Engineering Building.
Year Built:
1891
Year Removed:
1912
Architect:
Foster & Liebbe
Contractor:
W.B. Christy Jackson & Moss
Photographs Containing Power Station:
Old Main, 1901
Old Main during deep winter following the December 1900 fire. The North wing has largely disappeared. The South Wing of the building is still in use. The ground is covered in snow.
IMAGE
Old Main and Morrill...
Looking southwest from Botany Hall toward Old Main and Morrill Hall. Taken between 1897 and 1900.
IMAGE
An aerial view of...
An aerial view of Old Main (later known as Central Building and Beardshear Hall) in the center and Morrill Hall on the right. Other campus buildings are to the left of Old Main.
IMAGE
View of campus looking...
In this view looking west, Alumni Hall is on the left, Chemical and Physical Laboratory is to the left of the smoke stack, and the light-colored building on the right is Engineering Hall II (later known as Marston Hall). A man is attending to his horse on the unpaved street in the center of this view and there are rows of homes in the background, 1913.
IMAGE
View of Engineering Hall,...
Engineering Hall I (later known as Laboratory of Mechanics) is the second building to the left of the Power Plant. State Gymnasium and Clyde Williams Field are in the background to the right, March 2, 1923.
IMAGE
Beardshear Hall (Central Building),...
An aerial view of Beardshear Hall and the English Office Building, showing the top of the Marston Water Tower behind Beardshear Hall
IMAGE
Aerospace Laboratory, Foundry, Power...
This group of buildings includes the Aerospace Laboratory, Foundry, and Power Station. The Marston Water Tower is in the background.
IMAGE
Photograph of the southeast...
Photograph looking north-west at the southeast corner of the Laboratory of Mechanics. The southeast corner of the Power Station can be seen behind (to the right) of the Laboratory of Mechanics.
IMAGE
Photograph of engineering laboratories...
Photograph looking southwest at engineering laboratories. Following the sidewalk from left to right the buildings shown are the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Power Station, Building A, and the Aerospace Laboratory. To the west (right) of the Laboratory of Mechanics is the Quarantine Hospital, to the west of the Power Station is the Machine Shop, and to the west of Building A is Building B. Annotation: ''l. To r.; T. & A M Lab. (old Engineering Hall) 1884; site of M E Lab--picture of old power station--before 1908; Building A (old Foundry) 1898; Aeronautics Bldg (old Wood & Pattern Shop) 1898.''
IMAGE
Photograph of engineering laboratories...
Photograph of the engineering laboratories. From left to right (south to north) these buildings are the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Power Station, Building A, and the Aerospace Laboratory. The West Boarding Cottage can also be seen on the far left (southeast).
IMAGE
Photograph looking southwest at...
Photograph of the engineering laboratories. From left to right (south to north) these buildings are the Laboratory of Mechanics, the Power Station, Building A, and the Aerospace Laboratory. Annotation: ''L to r; Old Eng Hall now T & A M; Power Station; Forge Shop & Foundry; Pattern Shop.''
IMAGE
Photograph of the Chemical...
Photograph of the Chemical and Physical Laboratory taken from Bearshear Hall. The West Boarding Cottage can be seen to the southwest (left). The Laboratory of Mechanics, Power Station, Machine Shop, and Building A can be seen to the west (right). Annotation: ''(Sheldon Ave); Lincoln Way north; Quarantine Hospital?; Lab of Mechanics; Mech Eng Lab (west section completed 1908); Power Station; Bldg. A (foundry); view from Beardshear looking SW btwn (1908-1913); White House(?); Chemical & Physical Hall; Boarding Cottage (West).''
IMAGE
Source
Preferred Citation:
"Power Station", Campus Cornerstones, Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Reference Link:
https://digital.lib.iastate.edu/historic-buildings/items/buildingprofile0036.html